Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Where'd You Go, Bernadette / Maria Semple / 330 pgs

This is the second time I've read this book. My book club will be talking about it in June, but I went ahead and reread it now, although that's not quite the right way of putting it. I actually listened to it. I'm just going to say this is one of those books where reading it is FAR better than listening to it. I wasn't a fan of the narrator, and the letters, e-mails, and faxes lose their charm when you're hearing them, rather than reading them.

This is mostly an epistolary novel, though it is also narrated in sections by Bee Branch, a 15 year old girl, who sounds like a whiny brat in the audio book, but did not come across so in the print book. Her agoraphobic mother, Bernadette Fox, has gone missing, and it is through all of these letters, e-mails, and faxes that Bee is trying to piece together how, why, and where her mother disappeared.

The story is fun, funny, and kind of crazy. I enjoyed it back in 2014 when I first read it, and I still enjoyed it this past week, even if the audio book was not the best way to experience the book. The movie has been in development for quite a long time, with Cate Blanchett attached to star as Bernadette. Would recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment