Tuesday, March 21, 2017

The Penelopiad / Margaret Atwood / 198 pgs

I have to admit that I've only read The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood before now. To remedy that, I read The Penelopiad which is the story of Odysseus and Penelope of Homeric myths, but from the point of view of Penelope. I enjoyed the insertion of the twelve maids that were hung by Odysseus when he returned from his Odyssey as a chorus, much like how most Greek epic poems included a chorus of maidens that told a bit of the story from a third person point of view. Overall, since I have always enjoyed books based on Greek myths, like Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series, I really liked this book. At only 198 pages, it's not overly long at all. My only beef is that a portion of the book, towards the end, got a bit hyper-feminist for my taste, but this is Margaret Atwood we are talking about!

No comments:

Post a Comment