Friday, August 12, 2016

The Poets' Corner: The One-and-Only Poetry Book for the Whole Family / John Lithgow / 280 pgs

I'm not much of a poetry lover. There is a sparse few poets that I like (Shakespeare's sonnets, Robert Burns, Robert Frost, and Edgar Allan Poe) but I am so glad I read this book. It introduced me to names I had only heard before, but did not really know. Mr. Lithgow provides a great introduction and short biography on each poet he profiles. All forms of poetry was represented in this book, including the nonsense poetry I forgot that I loved (Lewis Carroll, limericks), the pretty romantic poetry of Byron and Shelley, and some of the more modern stuff that I could do without.

I was surprised to find that Mr. Lithgow was such a poetry lover and I'm thankful he did such a good job picking out poetry examples from such a wide range of poets. I feel a hundred times smarter just for reading it. Most Highly Recommended , especially to those, like me, who could stand to be educated on poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment