Saturday, March 24, 2018

An Echo of Murder/ Anne Perry/ 286 pgs

I've read every book of both of Anne Perry's long-standing series--Thomas Pitt and William Monk. I think I might be ending that streak though. This book is the latest in the Monk series and while I still like the characters of Monk, his wife Hester and their adopted son, I feel like the plots are just becoming too thin and unbelievable. In this book, four Hungarian men are murdered one after the other in very gruesome fashion. Monk, as commander of the Thames River Police, has no idea who could be doing this or why. The one interesting facet of this case was the introduction of an old friend/colleague of Hester's from her time serving as a nurse in the Crimean War. I wish more time could have been spent on that subplot. Anyway, in the end the motivation for the crime--and the connections made by Monk to the murderer just don't make any sense and I was left disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment