Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Let It Be Me/ Kate Noble / 308 pgs

I quite liked this book! This is a historical romance set partially in England but mostly in Venice. The change of scenery was lovely. Bridget is the middle of three daughters and she's been overshadowed by her beautiful older sister for years. That sister has recently married but Bridget is not known among Society as having a pleasant personality, so the gentlemen ignore her. After a string of unusual circumstances, Bridget, her mother, and her younger sister set off for Italy, ostensibly to escape the English winter but Bridget has an ulterior motive of hoping to study piano with an Italian composer she once met. Once in Venice things do not go exactly as she planned but she does end up studying with the composer because he needs a female student to perform in a competition for him. Bridget begins her tutelage under the volatile composer with his half-English, half-Italian brother watching out for her.


This story starts out so slowly I almost gave up on it. I am glad I didn't. The romance is absolutely wonderful, mostly because the hero Oliver is my kind of guy: kind, protective, in love with the heroine before she even realizes it, always do the little things for her. The scenes in and around Venice are descriptive and full of life. The very best part of the book, though, is the way the music is described. It's first rate. Bridget is studying Beethoven's Sonata No. 23 but she and Oliver also are privileged enough to hear one of the first performances of Beethoven's 9th Symphony. I wish I had thought to listen to these two pieces of music while I was reading the book. Anyway, I highly recommend Let It Be Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment