Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Golden Son / Pierce Brown / 446 pgs

I just finished the second book in the Red Rising trilogy. If you have yet to read the first book, be warned that there may be spoilers in this post.




I mean it - total spoilerage





I warned you!




Ok, so I was warned beforehand that unlike its predecessor, Golden Son was much lighter on the action and far too political. My friend said that people lie to the main character, Darrow, right and left, which made the book far too annoying and much less enjoyable than Red Rising.


After having read the book, I disagree. To make it as succinct as possible, Golden Son is Game of Thrones in space. Like Game of Thrones, noble families are categorized in houses. People change allegiances, hopping from one powerful family to another. There are political intrigues, assassinations, wealthy daughters being given away in marriage to create new alliances, and there are even battles. In space!!! After having won the military academy tournament in the last book, Darrow takes the fight all the way up to the supreme ruler of the solar system, while having to maintain an alliance with the man who had his wife killed. I loved it and can't wait for Morningstar.

No comments:

Post a Comment