Monday, January 20, 2014

Unbroken: a World War II airman's story of survival, resilience, and redemption / Laura Hillenbrand / 473 pgs

Unbroken chronicles the life of famed Olympic runner and World War II POW, Louis Zamperini.  Having a rough life growing up, Louis turned to running to settle his frustrations and anger and ended up participating in the 1936 Olympics in Berlin.  When World War II started, he ended up with the Army Air Corps in the Pacific flying bombing missions in the not-so-great B-24.  After his plane is shot down, he survives in a raft for weeks and ends up in the possession of the Japanese Navy where he was taken as a POW.  

I listened to the book and it was very hard listening to some of the things the Japanese did to the POWs but it gave you a sense of what these men went through everyday and the fear they faced -- listening to it really brought it to life.  I usually need a break from audio books when I’m taking road trips, but I did not touch the radio until I hit my destination with this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment