Saturday, August 31, 2013

Terrier (Beka Cooper, vol.1) / Tamora Pierce / 581 pgs. / 1st in a Series!

"When sixteen-year-old Beka becomes "Puppy" to a pair of "Dogs," as the Provost's Guards are called, she uses her police training, natural abilities, and a touch of magic to help them solve the case of a murdered baby in Tortall's Lower City."

Thank goodness I was able to listen to this on audio, because I would never be able to trudge through this.  I can see that the author, Tamora Pierce is talented and able to create a sense of place and time, but its really not my thing.  There are lots of details and if you like books that world-build than this may be a pick for you.  For me there was not much going on, it just felt like the main character Beka just went out on patrols a lot and was learning to become a stronger guard.  There was a little bit of mystery, but the story was not moving fast enough to really keep my interest. 

I will say that for strong female characters, this one Beka Cooper is awesome.  She has wit, bravery, ambition, strength, and she can communicate with spirits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment