Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The House on Mango Street / Sandra Cisneros / 134 pages

     I listened to this book on CD because it was recommended and because it was about Mexican Americans in Chicago.  There was also a forward by the author who read the book.
She was involved in the famous Iowa writers program and this book is acclaimed.
     For whatever reason, it just didn't keep my interest.  Maybe it was "too Iowa writer style" although I could see how well written it was.  Maybe it was that I have read a lot of these kind of books.  Maybe it was that first person narrative.  I just couldn't get into it and found myself listening to anything on NPR instead of driving around just to hear another paragraph of a book as I usually end up doing.  I give it no thumbs and one shoulder shrug.  Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment