Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Unwanteds/Lisa McMann/390p/2013-14 Mark Twain Nominee

Kirkus Reviews called this book "The Hunger Games meets Harry Potter," which is of course why I HAD to  read it, although I wasn't really expecting it to live up to such an auspicious tag line. I think what I got was more The City of Ember stands behind Harry Potter in line at the grocery store--which is pretty high praise, as I quite liked the City of Ember. This is a really fun picture of what might happen if one of those horrid future dystopian worlds and a, yes, slightly Hogwarts-ian fantasy world existed in the same place and time. I would recommend this to fans of the above alluded books, as well as Lois Lowry's dystopian novels (The Giver, et. al.). It's a 2013-14 Mark Twain Nominee, so expect everyone to be looking for the second book "Island of Silence" after they've finished this one. I'll be reading that one next!
-Julie

1 comment:

  1. And you get 2 bonus points because this is the first book in the series!

    ReplyDelete