Saturday, February 25, 2012

War Horse/Michael Morpurgo/120 p.


I read this one to see if it would be appropriate for my 8 year old, horse crazy daughter. I think it'll be a few years before she can appreciate this story, but I found myself irresistibly sucked in. The main character is Joey, a horse, and the story is told from his point of view. Stories set in war times are usually not my thing--too depressing. But this is more of a story about the incredible bond a person can have with a horse, than a war story. I've never been horse crazy, myself, and this story helped me understand the bond my daughter has with the horse she rides every week. I've bonded with dogs, but horses seem to be in a whole other special category. It takes a great deal of trust between rider and horse to make the relationship work, and you feel that bond when reading Joey's story.

Highly recommended for readers aged 10 and up. I may have to see the movie now.

No comments:

Post a Comment