Friday, January 20, 2012

Stranger in Paradise/Robert B. Parker/195 pages

Jesse Stone is the Police Chef of Paradise, a small town in Massachusetts. He has an ex-wife Jenn who is trying to make her way as a news reporter. When a man named Crow comes (back) to town, he knows there will be trouble soon. (Note to self: go back to the beginning and start reading these in order so I can be in on the references and jokes.) Crow is looking for a young teen and her mother who ran off from the father/husband years ago. His mission becomes entangled with a very small local effort to prevent a Hispanic school from opening in a long vacant house in the most prestigious neighborhood in the town.

There are quite a few murders committed by Crow during the course of the book that are ignored by Stone. Crow is an interesting character: a cold-blooded murder who has standards and is apparently irresistible to the women in town. This is my first Parker book (my first Jesse Stone book was written by another author after Parker's death.) I always enjoyed the Spenser tv series, so I think I'll read more of the Stone series and start the Spenser series.

No comments:

Post a Comment