Friday, September 30, 2011

State of Wonder/Ann Patchett/353 pages

Dr. Marina Singh works for a large pharmaceutical company. Her colleague was sent to the Amazon to check on the progress of another researcher there. When word comes back that he has died and was buried there, her colleague's wife asks her to go find out what happened and her boss asks her to go down and check out the progress herself.

One, I never want to go to the Amazon jungle. Two, I hate snakes which makes one scene in the book pretty unbearable. Three, I would never swim in a brown river (and the Amazon apparently is brown.) But still, this is an interesting story and satisfying ending.

1 comment:

  1. There is a guy in the Guinness Book of World Records who jumped on a pogo stick the entire lengeth of the Amazon River. I saw an interview with him, he said it felt weird when the Piranha were nipping at his legs. (ugh!) Plus, I HATE snakes too.

    ReplyDelete