Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater 392 pages



Move over Bella! Grace has a werewolf boyfriend and she doesn't spend half the book whining like Bella does in Twilight. Sam is also sooo much nicer than Edward. That being said, Shiver is told in alternating chapters from Grace and Sam's point of view. As the story unfolds, the reader learns the backstory.
Grace's parents are conveniently disconnected from her life and don't figure out that Sam is basically living at the house. This could be a teen fantasy. Anyway, Sam has that teensy problem of changing into a wolf in cold weather. Unfortunately, they live in Minnesota. Another character, Isabel, aka the school hottie, has lost her brother to the werewolf pack. She finds a "cure" with disastrous results. I couldn't believe they would try it, having experienced it myself. No, I won't tell what the "cure" is. Read it yourself. It fits logically for a teen thinking process, but still a terrible idea. I am now on Linger- Book 2. Can't wait.

2 comments:

  1. I'm currently reading this and am enjoying it too. The comparison to the Twilight series also crossed my mind, and I agree with you completely!!! My only complaint so far is that the author's "voice" for each character is too similar....okay, and I find some of the prose a bit cheesy/over-dramatic, BUT overall a good read. I'm looking forward to the second installment of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twilight..ugh..I watched the first hour of the movie Eclipse last night; I had to stop because my brain was starting to scream at me due to the cheesiness. I still want my hour back.

    ReplyDelete