Friday, January 7, 2011

The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever/ Julia Quinn/ 373 pages

Miranda Cheever's first entry into her diary was, "Today I fell in love." and the person to whom she focused this love was the same person who told her she should start keeping a diary - her best friend's older brother, Turner.  Now the fact that Miranda was only 7 years old and Turner was 19 was not important to the young lady at the time.  Later, after Miranda sees Turner fall in love, get married, and deal with the heartache caused by a cheating wife, she gets thrown back into Turner's path once more after his wife's death.  He has changed.  He is no longer the happy-go-lucky Turner she fell in love with.  And yet, could she love this new Turner just as much?

I have just recently started testing out romance novels (at the blogged and tweeted recommendations of some of my favorite YA authors) and, from what I can tell, they all follow the same exact structure.  The lack of structural creativity, however, does not mean that they are not fantastic forms of escapism and, quite possibly, my new guilty pleasure.   I had never read anything by Julia Quinn but I liked it.  If you like Regency romance, you will enjoy this light read.

No comments:

Post a Comment