Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Hard Country (Kerney Family #1) / Michael McGarrity / 608 pages

I read this for a book club and I likely would not have picked it up otherwise. However, lately, when I find myself forced to read a western, I end up really enjoying it. This book is no exception. This is the first book in a trilogy, and I actually really want to know what happens next.

The book starts off with a young man and his pregnant wife living in rural Texas, with the designs of building a ranch. However, the wife dies after giving birth to a son and the man's brother and son are killed by horse thieves. The man gives his sister-in-law his infant son to care for while he goes in search of the murderers. Thus begins a story of revenge, family, horses, ranches, war, and the old west spanning three generations and 43 years.

I especially loved that the characters were complex and multi-dimensional. Not every "villain" you meet turns out to be a bad guy and not every person you expect to be a good guy is all that terribly good. I absolutely loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment