Thursday, May 31, 2018

The Unfortunate Decisions of Dahlia Moss/ Max Wirestone/ 370 pgs/ audiobook

Once again I had a long weekend drive so I snagged another audiobook from Hoopla. I had heard this book was fresh and funny and I must say that I agree. It's a delightful modern mystery with a funny, quirky cast headed by the titular Dahlia Moss. She's an unemployed twenty-something down on her luck when her roommate introduces her to a mysterious man named Jonah. He offers her $2000 to find a stolen digital bejeweled sword. Yes, digital. The sword exists in an online game and was stolen from Jonah's account. It's obvious from the beginning that there is something off about this setup but then Jonah is murdered and things take off from there. Even though I'm not an online game player, the book explains that world well without being tedious. The narrator for this book (Lauren Fortgang) was awesome. I was amused throughout and laughed out loud a number of times. The solution to the murder mystery itself was nothing revolutionary but for this one, it's all about the journey. Bonus #1: this book, to my surprise, is set in St. Louis. The setting is a little superficial but it was nice to hear about familiar landmarks. Bonus #2: there are two more books in the series. I can't wait to read or listen to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment