Thursday, March 22, 2018

In Sickness and In Health/ Ben Mattlin/ 238 pgs

Egads! My second non-fiction book of the year and it's only March. This is very unusual for me:-) The subtitle for this book is: Love, Disability, and a Quest to Understand the Perils and Pleasures of Interabled Romance and it takes a look at couples (either married or long-term commitment) where one of the partners has a disability and the other does not. This book is not personally relevant to me, except that it did give me more insight into what my parents are facing as they grow older, with my stepdad becoming less able to care for himself and more reliant on my mom. The book is written in a very engaging and forthright style by Ben Mattlin, who has spinal muscular atrophy. Ben has never walked and has always been dependent on others (family members and paid help). He's been married for 26 years. He weaves stories of his own marriage throughout the book but each chapter is spent on a different couple that Ben has interviewed. It's a fascinating and informative read.

No comments:

Post a Comment