Monday, August 7, 2017

The Duke's Disaster/ Grace Burrowes / 439 pgs

Grace Burrowes has a lot of historical romance titles to her name but I've never read her books. I had one of her paperbacks lying around so I picked it up and started reading. About a half later I put it down, went to the library's OverDrive site and dowloaded the ebook to my Kindle:-)

Noah is the duke in question and he's not much for small talk and socializing so he decides to cut to the chase and ask Lady Thea, a down-on-her-luck earl's daughter turned companion to marry him. Thea agrees because she doesn't think she has any other prospects and Noah has agreed to provide a decent dowry and come-out for her younger sister. The marriage takes place straight away and off we go. Thea has a secret that she only tells Noah in dribs and drabs so things are rocky almost from the start. These two have problems communicating about the big things and that was frustrating. And yet, I found there everyday interactions adorable and enjoyed the rapport between them. Burrowes has a distinctive cadence to her writing, especially dialogue. It's at once refreshing and wearing, especially over the course of the book. Still, I enjoyed the story and just might give another of her books a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment