Thursday, June 1, 2017

Sawbones/ Melissa Lenhardt / 432 pgs

This was a 180-degree turn from the short, light-hearted romance I just read. Sawbones is gritty, violent, and not the for the faint-of-heart. And I really liked it.

Catherine Bennett is a female doctor in 1870s New York City. She's a rarity and not always well received. The book jumps right in with Catherine being accused of murdering a patient's husband. In desperation, she decides to run off to the American frontier and disappear. Things do not go as planned. The Texas frontier is a harsh place, which Catherine (now using the name Laura), soon discovers. There's action, humor, female friendship (yay!), and romance here. My one nitpick is that for such a large country, Catherine sure does "coincidentally" run into a fair number of people in Texas that she originally knew from the East Coast. I rolled my eyes and moved on. I enjoyed it all, though I'll repeat my warning that this book has some very dark, violent chapters. Be warned. It's also part of a series, a trilogy I think. I can't wait to read the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment