Friday, May 26, 2017

The Girl Before/ JP Delaney / 336 pgs

Despite my weariness with publishers using the word "girl" in titles when referring to full-grown women, I decided to read this suspense novel I'd heard a lot about. And unlike with The Couple Next Door, I'm glad I read this one! While it is also written in the present tense, it's first person, and though I occasionally found this annoying, it wasn't nearly as bad as the third person present of the previous book.

It's told from the alternating viewpoints of Emma and Jane, two women who end up renting the same house, years apart. It's creepy and intriguing and there are many twists--good twists. You really have no idea what's going on until the very last page. I'd love to say more about the plot but almost everything would be a spoiler. This is an emotional story too. Jane has recently lost a stillborn child and her feelings are real and palpable. I can definitely recommend this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment