Friday, May 19, 2017

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe / Benjamin Alire Sáenz / 359 pgs



This is one of those books that I would have never read if not for the ReadHarder challenge. Not as angsty as The Perks of Being a Wallflower, but it was close, and for me, I don't consider that a good thing. I find I have very little patience with whiny teenagers and this book was no exception. I suppose this book was trying to get me to feel things, but I've read at least fifty books that hit me in the feels without trying nearly as hard.

The story is of Aristotle (Ari is his nickname). He's a 15 year old Mexican-American kid growing up in El Paso in 1987 and 1988. He is a loner, has no friends, until he meets Dante, who teaches Ari how to swim. Their friendship is the crux of the book. They save each other's lives, deal with hidden family secrets, and their burgeoning romantic interests. If you are into sap of a considerably non-Maple variety, I recommend it. Otherwise, stay far away. This gets 2 out of 5 stars because it was at least better written than The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

No comments:

Post a Comment