Monday, April 17, 2017

The Boston Girl / Anita Diamant / 320 pgs

This is the book that my club will be reading in May. After quite a few duds, this one was really good. I had hoped the story would stretch out across the main character's whole life rather than ending in the 30's, but I still really liked it. Addie Baum is the daughter of Russian Jewish immigrants. She is born in Boston in 1900, but her much older sisters (10 and 12 years older respectively) remember their homeland, each adapting in different ways to America. The story takes place over about 20 years, from around age 15 to 35, and is a great coming-of-age story. The story alternates from heartwarming to heartbreaking as Addie deals with unsupportive, Old World parents, World War I, the flu epidemic of 1918-1919, and misogyny in the work place. I definitely recommend reading it, especially if you like historical fiction and stories about immigrants.

No comments:

Post a Comment