Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Mockingbird, Vol. 1: I Can Explain / Chelsea Cain / 136 pgs

I'm not really into superhero comics, but was excited to see a new female superhero.  Also, it was written by Chelsea Cain, who writes the bestselling Archie Sheridan/Gretchen Lowell series.  If you have not read this series you I'll let you know it's about a psychopathic female serial killer.    So basically "Mockingbird" is about S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and former Avenger, Bobbi Morse, as she goes on a few missions, from deep sea diving to uncover a secret nuclear facility, to saving her current boyfriend from an underground gang.  Bobbi has super powers because she is part of a government experiment which is also causing her mind to hallucinate.

The story-line was fair, but again I'm not really into superheros fighting bad guys page after page.  I do like that she is a strong female heroine with personal and mental issues like everyone else.
The writer Chelsea Cain cancelled her twitter account after receiving a lot of harassing tweets from male comic book "fans" commenting on her pro-feminist stance, which really only makes me want to recommend this book even more!    (http://www.comicsbeat.com/bestselling-author-chelsea-cain-driven-off-twitter-by-harassment-from-comics-fans/).

No comments:

Post a Comment