Wednesday, November 9, 2016

The Girl From Everywhere / Heidi Heilig / 443 pgs

I finished listening to the audio book of "The Girl From Everywhere" yesterday. This is a brand new YA fantasy/time travel fiction and I enjoyed its original premise very much. This is author Heidi Heilig's debut novel and she already has a sequel planned, which is very good as this was left a bit on a cliff hanger. Nix was born in 1868 Honolulu, Hawaii, but has actually lived in all sorts of places and times thanks to her father's ability to "navigate" maps. Once her father's ship, the Temptation, moves to the margins of a map, the crew of the ship find themselves in a completely different part of the world in a different era, all thanks to the new map they are using. Her father's one mission in life is to return to 1868 Honolulu where Nix's mother died in childbirth. But, if that happens, what will happen to Nix?

This book kept me guessing. I liked the characters, and my only two complaints would be another uninspiring love triangle and I am not the biggest fan of the narrator, Kim Mai Guest, who always sounds SO sad in every book she narrates. Her vocal fry is also pretty annoying. I wish I had read this book rather than listened to it. However, I am very excited for the sequel. I'd recommend to fans of YA and fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment