Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay / J.K. Rowling / 304 pgs

First, I should note that this was a screenplay, complete with stage actions for the actors, how they should comport their facial features as they were saying their lines and the complete script. As such, although it was 304 pages, it is a very quick read. I have yet to see the movie, and so I did just spoil myself, but it was totally worth it. Since the movie is such a big deal right now, I don't want to say much about the story itself. Suffice to say, after the disappointment that was Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, which read as so much bad fan fiction, this is most definitely a return to form. It is completely evident that J.K. Rowling had her hands all over this screenplay, rather than the multiple names you find on the complete script of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. I can see why the movie is doing so well and I hope to get to see it this weekend if not the next weekend. Reading the screenplay has only whetted my appetite for the movie.

Newt Scamander, a Hufflepuff, lands in 1926 New York City with a suitcase full of magical beasts that get loose during a hilarious comedy of errors. Helping Newt are sister witches, Tina and Queenie, as well as a No-Maj (the American word for Muggle), Jacob. However, Newt finds that he has a villain working against him, as well as the Magical Congress of the USA (America's equivalent of England's Ministry of Magic).

No comments:

Post a Comment