Monday, October 10, 2016

I, Robot / Isaac Asimov / 225 pgs

I just finished listening to I, Robot. This is the first time I've listened to the book, but I believe I have read it at least twice before. This is one of those old favorites of mine that I turn back to now and then. If you have only seen the movie, you have no idea what the book is about. The book follows three characters across nine short stories. Two of the characters are the subjects of the first few stories, Mike Donovan and Greg Powell. They help test new robots as they are used in various ways when humanity first starts exploring the solar system. The third character, and arguably the most important character is Susan Calvin, a robo-psychiatrist.

The stories span decades from the earliest years of the 21st century to about 2060 AD, and they trace the development of artificial intelligence to a conclusion that is completely logical once you get to it. Asimov published these stories together in I, Robot in 1950 and although science did not progress nearly as quickly as he envisioned, the stories still resonate today. My favorite stories are "Robbie," "Liar," and "Evidence." The Three Laws of Robotics are within every story, but how the robots interpret these laws are extremely interesting. I highly recommend this sci-fi classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment