Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Life After Life / Kate Atkinson / 544 pgs


My book discussion group is reading Life After Life this month. This is my second time reading Life After Life and I think I appreciate it more than I did the first time. Still not as good as Clare North's The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, I think I was less confused this time around with all of the constant rebirths. Ursula Todd is born on a snowy evening in February 1910 and dies before she barely can draw her first breath. But, that's not the end of Ursula Todd. Again, she is born at the same time and place, but this time, she survives....for a while. Every time Ursula dies in a different way, she is reborn at the same time and place, and every time she lives again, some feelings of deja vu bleed into her new life. Clearly history has something important in store for Ursula, something that may change the trajectory of 20th century history itself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment