Friday, March 18, 2016

Scarlet / Marissa Meyer / 452 pgs

A few weeks ago, I profiled Cinder, the first book in the Lunar Chronicles and I raved big time about it. It had been my favorite book I had read thus far in 2016. That was supplanted by Scarlet, the second book in the series (which will probably be supplanted with Cress, the third book, once I've finished it). Like Cinder, I listened to Scarlet on audio while commuting to and from work. Rebecca Solner, the narrator, is called upon to do even more accents and voices in the second book, and she does a wonderful job. We are introduced to more characters, including my favorite, Captain Carswell Thorne, as well as Scarlet Benoit, her grandmother Michelle Benoit, and Wolf. Unlike Cinder, in which almost all the action was centered around the main character, Cinder Linh, the action transitions between Scarlet and Wolf's story, Cinder's continuing story, and Emperor Kai at his palace in New Beijing. This diversity in action really makes for a better book, and I was far more on the edge of my driver's seat than I was in the first book. I HIGHLY recommend this one, but start with Cinder first.


No comments:

Post a Comment