Saturday, March 5, 2016

A Sister to Honor / Lucy Ferriss / 387 pgs

A Sister to Honor is the book that my Brown Bag Discussion Group will be talking about at this month's meeting. It is the story of Afia, a young Pakistani woman who is a sophomore at a college in New England. Her big brother, Shahid, is a squash player for a nearby college, in his senior year. He has been charged to care for and look after his little sister by their family back home, but when pictures that most Americans would consider benign and hardly PG, of Afia and another male student surface online, Afia finds herself in the middle of her family's backlash and Shahid has to choose between honoring her shamed sister or honoring the rest of their family.

When I read Orphan #8 a couple of months ago for my book discussion, I thought that was a tough book to read. A Sister to Honor is at least a hundred times harder. This book also fits one of my PopSugar book challenges, "Read a book that features a culture that you are unfamiliar with," and I will admit that the Pashtun culture of Pakistan was one I was completely unfamiliar with. Read this book if you would like to learn more about honor killings and the kind of culture that gives rise to such phenomena. Don't read this book if you are looking for a light read. It is anything but!


No comments:

Post a Comment