Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Daddy's Gone A Hunting/Mary Higgins Clark/338 pages

When Kate Connelly is severely injured and Gus Schmidt is killed in an explosion at Kate's family's furniture plant, the assumption is that they were responsible for the blast in an effort to collect insurance money. Kate's sister, Hannah, and Lottie Schmidt are sure that there is another culprit, but since Kate is in a coma, there's only supposition on the part of the fire investigators. A skeleton found in a sinkhole found during the clean up of the site only adds to the mystery. Plus, evidence of a squatter in one of the wreaked delivery vans in the back of the parking lot also throws more doubt at the theory. Add several more murders and one (possibly two) fraud schemes and you have a typical M.H. Clark monstrosity. 

I loved Clark's first five or so books, but it's been decades since I've read her books. It all became come back to me while I was reading this. She has so many stories going on at once, it makes me dizzy. After I finished the book and went to bed, I woke up suddenly with the realization that she had left one part of the mystery unexplained. I went back and reread the pertinent parts and found out that she just didn't finish that part of the story. She was probably just as dizzy as I was. I don't recommend this book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment