Friday, January 23, 2015

Lisey's Story / Stephen King / 513 p.

I wanted to like this book more. I picked it up after reading an interview of the author in which he stated that this is his favorite work. He does a great job of conveying the incredibly strong bond and symbiotic relationship of Lisey and her author husband Scott. That was the part I enjoyed. But the source of Scott's inspiration for his King-like novels left me wanting. It is interesting that King mentions editing in his afterword because that was exactly what I felt was needed. Too much repetition and too much use of family phrases and sayings wore thin. And, of course, King's book generally have really bizarre characters, places, settings...but this was especially strange. I listened to much of it and I think Mare Winningham did a very good job with the audio version.

No comments:

Post a Comment