Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Horrorstor / Grady Hendrix / 243 pages / Horror

The book  is clean, fresh and attractive, even if the format, a furniture store catalog, at first seems odd. Then, you realize that it has to do with the content of the story, and it adds to the fun. It's a quick read, and I stayed up till 2AM to finish it, perhaps that was due to the fact that the nature of the  story reminded me a little of Clive Barker's Hellraiser movies.  Side note:  It drives me crazy that the main character sometimes makes decisions bordering on the idiotic (really? you're going to go through the creepy hallway that cannot possible be there?) but when you get to the end, it somehow makes sense. Horrorstor is enjoyable and I will never see Ikea the same way again.

But back to the cover/book format........There's clearly no way I can ignore how awesomely packaged this book is, so I'll begin there. It's designed like an Ikea catalog (which I ordered after receiving the book for review consideration, because I'm cool and wanted to compare.  Also, I love Ikea) with the beginning of chapters featuring different products and their descriptions (which slowly got creepier as the story progressed, but I'll get there). There were coupons for the store, an order form, and a map of the showroom. It was all wonderfully put together, and even though I initially thought it would be difficult to read because of the different column sizes and text, it was not at all, and my ability to read the book was not at all affected by the design, making it a super win.

Next I want to talk about just how imaginative this story was. It wasn't scary per se, but it was one of those that left me turning the pages quicker because I really just wasn't sure how things were going to turn out. It took so many twists and turns that I couldn't possibly have tried to guess the outcome, nor would I have wanted to!  No plot reveals here.....you'll just have to experience it yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment