Friday, September 12, 2014

The Weight of Blood / Laura McHugh / 302 p.

I was drawn to this book by a review because of it's setting in rural southwest Missouri, an area with which I am familiar. Mid-way through I was excited to learn that the author would be making an appearance at one of our branches in the near future. I also recognized the news event from which I am sure the author got the idea for this novel.

It is a good debut novel set in the Missouri Ozarks. Teenage Lucy has always had questions about her mother's disappearance when she was just a baby. When a classmate goes missing, Lucy begins to make disturbing connections between the two. Because the dangers that often face women are real, I found some of the book to be more "horrifying" than a Stephen King novel. The mystery plays out well. The community is realistically clannish and secretive. But I was somewhat dissatisfied with the ending. Lucy behaves heroically; still I expected a bit more.

I think the setting makes it of interest to most Missourians.  Mystery readers would also like it as well as those interested in women's issues.  Recommend for those who enjoyed Gone Girl and Room.

No comments:

Post a Comment