Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The Girls of August/Anne Rivers Siddons/223 pages

The original "girls of August" were the wives of four med students/doctors. Although their husband's careers took them to different cities, the women vacationed each year in a beach house until one was tragically killed one winter. After that loss, the remaining three could not bring themselves to reunite each summer. Three years later, the widower remarries and wants the girls to reinstate the tradition with his new wife on her family's property on a remote barrier island off the South Carolina coast. The three reluctantly agree, and they begin to reacquaint themselves with each other and learn to like the new, much younger, member of the "girls of August."


This was a delight to read. I enjoyed the antics of the women fending for themselves on this remote island. I've always wanted to visit this part of the country, so the setting appealed to me. I wish Siddons had fleshed out the situations more. The story could have easily filled another one hundred pages. I find myself thinking I need to finish the book when, in fact, I already have.



No comments:

Post a Comment