Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Fifty Shades of Grey, E. L. James, 372 pages

The movie trailer peaked my interest in this book.  About half way through I realized this was not the story I was expecting.    It was little more than a Harlequin Romance on steroids.  I did appreciate that unlike most romance novels the characters did talk to each other to solve problems.  Christian was not the dark, sinister person I thought I would encounter.   He actually seemed too good a person for the subject of the book.  Early on I thought is was all a con on his part to ensnare Ana and his obsession with her eating would ultimately lead to her starving each weekend in his 'red room'.   That was not the case. The characters interested me enough that I did work my way through all three books in the series.  My favorite character is Inner Goddess, she seemed to have the most sense and was a great comic relief.  A great literary work, no.  An adult Cinderella fantasy, maybe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment