Monday, June 9, 2014

Spellbound / Jacqueline West 327 pages / 8 Maids-a-Milking December Challenge

Volume 2 in the New York Times Bestselling series The Books of Elsewhere
I received this book as an ARC several years ago and had never had a chance to read it.  After seeing Jacqueline West at the Kirksville Children's Literature Conference and having her autograph it, I decided I had to take the time to read it.  Oh my goodness!  Am I ever glad I did!  This is a delightful series about a young girl, Olive, who can enter paintings while wearing magic spectacles or holding onto the tails of cats (familiars).  She has promised to help one of the boys she met in one of the paintings but gets side-tracked in her search for the grimoire (spell book) of the witches who owned the house.  Without being preachy, this is an excellent dissertation on friendship and a cautionary tale about our desires and how they can dictate who we are and may become.

No comments:

Post a Comment