Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Zealot the life and times of Jesus of Nazareth / Reza Aslan / 216 pages

This was a very interesting book for me.  First, it was not from a "Christian" perspective, rather, the author was a Christian with a conversion experience who, as he spent years in religious studies has come to find a more historical Jesus that he believes in.  He also has a Moslem background that brings more knowledge to his quest.
     He begins with history to set the background for the coming of Jesus.  He spends a lot of time on Hebrews and Romans and all of the conflicts that pre-date Jesus.  There were many Zealots during that time period as well as people who could do "miracles".  He proposes that Jesus was actually a zealot with the idea of changing society or getting out from under the Romans.  It gets really complicated with the temple vs. who was in power and who did Rome see as a threat.  Reza Aslan spent at least 20 years on his religious studies and I know that it would take me that long to find out more. 
     As I read this on my Kindle, I didn't get to read the notes so I am going back to re-read this book and the notes and with my Bible for reference.  It has been really mind-blowing to find out some of the historical facts and the church in-fighting and extent of Roman influence.  I totally recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment