Monday, February 17, 2014

The Beautiful Mystery / Louise Penny / 697 pages / January Challenge Book Recommeded by co-worker

This 8th Chief Inspector Armand Gamache novel finds the inspector and Jean-Guy Beauvoir of the Surete du Québec investigating the murder of a monk at the monastery of Saint-Gilbert-Enter-Les-Loups, hidden deep in the wilderness of Quebec. Two dozen monks live in peace and prayer here, singing Gregorian chants and making chocolate-covered blueberries. Dissension has disturbed this peaceful life, however. A recording was made of the chants and boosted the monks to international notoriety. They have sworn vows of silence, yet some monks believe they should record additional CD's. The buildings are falling apart.  Additional revenues could save the monastery...  This inspiring detective mystery resonates with my current situation. I have just returned from a pilgrimage to the Holy Land where we were accompanied by a Dominican, our spiritual advisor. (A Dominican arrives from Rome in search of the monks who have been missing for over 400 years.) I was recently prescribed Oxycontin when I broke my arm. (Jean-Guy Beauvoir was addicted to it.) And I love chocolate!

This book was recommended on the blog by Margaret from our own St. Charles City-County Library District. Thanks so much for steering me to an awesome read!

No comments:

Post a Comment