Saturday, October 26, 2013

Mudbound / Hillary Jordan / 324 p.

Would I have loved this novel quite as much had a read it instead of listening to it? Probably, but I'll never know. It certainly wouldn't have taken me as long to get through it.  But I sure LOVED the audio version. Six actors were used for the main characters voices and they certainly brought the story to life.  I was especially taken with the voice of Laura--down-to-earth and womanly--but they were all good.

There certainly is bad that happens--it's set in Mississippi in the late 1940's and involves a white family and a black family.  How could something bad not happen?  It also shows a time and place far different from what I am used to--a husband who ups and moves the family to a farm with no word of warning to his wife--because he's the man and he can do that; a community of extreme racism. But this is also a story of love, devotion, hardship, despair and resilience.

What a wonderful "read."

No comments:

Post a Comment