Thursday, October 31, 2013

Code Name Verity/ Elizabeth Wein/ 9 disks/ 352 pages

  It is very rare for me to be rendered completely speechless about a book. This YA novel has me completely gobsmacked. I am unable to find the words to describe just how spectacular, gut wrenching, emotionally draining and fulfilling story this is. We have two narrators. One is a pilot and the other is a spy and both are best friends. they are young ladies living in Britain during World War II. They are doing their bit for the war effort and meet during their training. On one night of unforeseen circumstances, the pilot Maddie and spy Verity are shot down over France. One has a chance while the other doesn't. What follows is the story of each girl struggling to survive while remembering her past. Get ready for one punch of a story.
   One of the benefits at the end of the narrative is the author herself talking about the research undertaken and what she may or may have not tweaked in order to make the story work for the two young ladies. The work done for historical accuracy is a great tribute to persistence for making sure things like ball point pens actually were around during World War II. I enjoy little trivia details like that. I was sucked into this story and just couldn't stop wondering what would happen to each of our heroines. I will admit to being so emotionally attached to our pilot and spy that I cried at the end of book. You will be rewarded.

Six degrees of reading: Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson, Aleutian Sparrow by Karen Hesse, B for Buster by Iain Lawrence.

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading this now and I couldn't agree with you more.

    ReplyDelete