Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Alice I Have Been/ Melanie Benjamin/ 351 pages

I have been wanting to read this book for a while since I read Benjamin's book about Mrs. Tom Thumb.  I thought it would be a nice story about the real Alice in Wonderland.  Instead it was sad and a little disturbing.  I don't know what to think about Charles Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll)--this story definitely made me feel like he had a questionable--at best--relationship with children.  And if there was nothing to hide and he was innocent of doing anything wrong why did his family destroy part of his diaries.  Anyway, I guess the truth with never be known about what actually caused the rift between Alice's family and Mr. Dodgson, but it saddens me that it may be something so terrible involving a small girl.  Still it was an interesting read and it will provide lots to discuss at my book club.  While I wouldn't want to read it again, it was a good story that I think does deserve some investigation.

No comments:

Post a Comment