Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Handmaid's Tale/ Margaret Atwood / 311 pages

So, I picked this book for book club, because Banned Book's Week falls in September and I wanted to read a banned book.  So, things are a little racy in Handmaid's Tale.  I mean, it's no 50 shades, but I can see how some might find it shocking.  I would never ban it, but it is about a future society in America where a religious group the Gilead has taken over.  Women who can bear children are forced to attempt to breed with wealthy couples who can not have children.  There have been all sorts of things that have led to this happening and there being a low birth rate for healthy Caucasian babies. Anyway, very thought provoking read.  I'll be interested to hear what my book club has to say about it.  Overall, I would say it was not overly descriptive about the "ceremony" for making babies.  The one time it was described in full was enough--it was not over done.  Good book with lots to talk about.  A Dystopian novel from the 80s.

No comments:

Post a Comment