Monday, August 19, 2013

Pride & Prejudice / Jane Austen Adapted by Nancy Butler / 120 pgs.

In the introduction to this Graphic Novel the author, Nancy Butler, flat out writes that Marvel Comics wanted a story that would appeal to girls and get them to buy more comic books.  I don't have a problem with that, nor am I opposed to the Austen classic that they chose.  I just wondered if it was some marketing ploy by Marvel Comics or just plain lack of imagination on the artist's part to make the main character, Lizzy, look exactly like Keira Knightley, who played the Lizzy in the 2005 movie version.

"Why, whatever do you mean?!  I look Absolutely
nothing like that comic book character."

Still, this really was a very nice Graphic Novel Adaption the classic "Pride & Prejudice".  I loved the movie and mini-series based on this novel, but I just could never bring myself to actually READ the 400 page tome.  I know that with only 120 pages, I am still missing a lot to the story, but it was nice to be able to slow down and read some of Austen's words.  In the movies the actors speak so quickly, I find it hard to catch everything they are trying to convey.  Clean, great story, great illustrations that add to the overall package. 

I would recommend this book to anybody that wants to try out a graphic novel and likes literary stories. 
  


No comments:

Post a Comment