Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Paris Wife/Paula McLain/331 pgs.

I am so happy I'm in a book club, otherwise I doubt if I ever would have read this book--and that would have been a shame! This is a fictionalized account (although I'm pretty sure, a very accurate one) of Ernest Hemingway's life with his first wife, Hadley Richardson. It takes the reader from their first meeting,to their moving to Paris so that Ernest can concentrate on his writing. Along the way, the reader is introduced to Ezra Pound, F. Scott Fitzgerald and his wife, Zelda, to name a few. The author portrays Hemingway's way of life, and the toll it took on those around him--especially Hadley. It is an engrossing read--I even looked up biographical material on Hemingway after I finished the book. As an aside--the author describes Hadley's life growing up in St. Louis; it's fun to read about Forest Park, the St. Louis Public Library, the 1904 World's Fair, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment