Friday, May 10, 2013

Thor: The Mighty Avenger vol. 1/Roger Langridge/128 pages

I read this because it was listed as one of YALSA Great Graphic Novels for Teens (Top Ten - 2012) and a Top Ten Graphic Novel for Youth (Booklist) (2012).  In general, I am not a big fan of graphic novels or comics, but am attempting to broaden my reader's advisory of this genre.  The first graphic novel I read thusly did not endear me to the genre, but I think I might change my mind after reading Thor.   Having seen the recent movies, it was quite an entertaining read.  It tells of a re-imagined beginning for the hero Thor and Jane that parallels the main events from the movie, Thor.  The artwork was very good as well as the storyline.  An addition at the end of the graphic novel is the original 2 stories from the 1960s.  I got quite a giggle to see how far comics and graphic novels have come in the past 50 years.  Happy to say it was a big improvement.  It also made me think that I might be judging my like/dislike of the genre base on what was available when I was younger.  If that is the case, I am more than happy to give graphic novels another try.
Thor the Mighty Avenger (Volume 1 )

No comments:

Post a Comment