Friday, May 31, 2013

Outlander / Diana Gabaldon / 627 pgs. / Scottish - Irish Challenge

What can I say about this book besides "Awesome" and "Well Written"?  The author, Diana Gabaldon, has a wonderful talent for storytelling and she can evoke the feeling of a time and place for a reader with her words.

This book has it all: time-travel, romance, true love, battles, raids, Witch trials, a prison break, sword fighting, torture, family feuds, a wedding and other celebrations.  And the characters are flawed which make them more believable.  There is so much about the book that you can talk about as you really do feel (as one of my coworkers described it to me) like you are on a rollercoaster with all of the ups and downs in the events in the story.    

The writing reminds me of Jean Auel's "Clan of the Cave Bear" series, where the books are long and detailed, but there is so much going on that you don't notice the length.  I guess it goes without saying, I would highly recommend this book to anyone, but would caution that there are some very gory descriptions of violence.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment