Monday, May 13, 2013

Into the Wild/Jon Krakauer/207 pgs.

This was a very difficult book for me to read--maybe because even the thought of going camping puts a chill up my spine, so the idea of someone voluntarily exploring Alaska on his own is unimaginable for me. Yet, that is exactly what Christopher Johnson McCandless did. Upon graduating from college, Chris headed west, then ultimately to Alaska, to commune with nature, and to "make it" with minimal resources. Along the way, he befriended some people upon whom he made a lasting impression. His travels, and his resulting death, makes up the majority of the story, but there is much more to it than that--thanks to the author's insight and research. The part that still bothers me the most is that McCandless struck out on this adventure without letting any of his family know. I can't imagine willingly putting your parents through that type of heartache and anguish. It was an interesting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment