Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Journey That Saved Curious George, the True Wartime Escape of Margret and H. A. Rey / Louise Borden / 72 pages

I read a blog posted about this book and just had to read it myself.  I used to do a Happy Birthday Author lesson each month when I was a school librarian and told the kids that H. A. Rey sold bathtubs along the Amazon River.  It was one of the few facts my daughter remembers from these lessons.  The book does indeed verify this fact regarding the Rey's and tells of their somewhat nomadic life and their hair raising escape from Nazi occupied France.  We learn the H. A. Rey was originally Hans Augusto Reyersbach; Margret was Margarete  Waldstein; and Curious George was FiFi.  Imagine!!  This is a quick read with large type and plentiful illustrations including many the Reys.

No comments:

Post a Comment