Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Shoemaker's Wife/Adriana Trigiani/475 pages

Enza and Ciro live on the same mountain in Italy but in separate villages. Their first meeting is when Ciro is called upon to dig a grave for Enza's treasured youngest sibling, Stella. While Enza has always known the security and warmth of a big family and loving home, Ciro and his brother were raised by the nuns in the covent where their mother took them after their father died. For different reasons, they both end up going to America either to start a new life or make money for their families. Of course, they have never forgotten each other and over the course of years, they reconnect time and time again until they finally marry.

This was my book club selection for November. I can see how my tastes have changed over the years because this is a book that would have appealed to me when I was much younger. Now, the abundance of description and slow-moving storyline isn't my cup of tea. Fans of historical fiction will enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment